Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Road to Recovery Excerpt




"Hey, Stone Cold, scoot over."

Erin damn near choked on her drink at Kyle’s deep voice so low and sensual, that the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. Desire slammed into her. Without thinking, she moved over, and he sat next to her. "I told you not to call me that. What the hell are you doing here?"

He chuckled. “Katie told me some people from work were going out and invited me to come along."

Erin shot her friend an annoyed glance, and Katie only shrugged before turning back to talk with Jessica. Yeah, no big deal. The hell it wasn't! She had to put up with Kyle at work; she sure as heck didn't want to deal with him tonight. She was a woman on a mission, and it had nothing to do with the arrogant jerk now sitting on her left. And he might scare all the hotties away. They might think she is with him and no way was that going to happen ever again.

“So, what, you thought you'd come and annoy me?” Erin asked over the din of music and chatter.

“I have no clue what you're talking about,” Kyle innocently replied.

“Just because you helped me on a case today doesn't entitle you to talk to me now. Not after two years of ignoring me." Maybe coming out hadn’t been the best idea. She entertained the thought of leaving for a moment, before pushing it aside. No way she’d let him ruin the night for her.

"Touchy tonight, are we?” Kyle winked at her.

He slid his hand over hers.

She turned and gave him a side long glance as her breathing increased. Quickly, she jerked her hand away from his grasp.

“Don't flatter yourself. Why don't you go and annoy someone else?”

“Excuse me.” A man stood at the table looking at her.

“Yes?” she turned and smiled at the man. He was a dead ringer for Ryan Reynolds. He’ll do just fine for tonight. It’s not like I need a long term thing. One night will do. She let her gaze roam over him. On the other hand, maybe two nights. She chose not to think about the fact that she’d never had a one night stand.

“I’m Dave. Would you like to dance?” he asked.

“I would love to. Move, Kyle.” She stood and he took her hand, “I’m Erin.” As they walked away, she added an extra swing to her hips. Enough to hopefully drive Kyle crazy and remind him of what he’d missed when he’d stood her up two years ago.

Road to Recovery can be purchased at Pink Petal Books,Barnes & Noble and Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...